Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crochet: Getting Prickly with Spike Stitch

 

I've been without my beloved Bessie for a fair few weeks now so Crochet has been my craft of quiet desperation choice, I'll admit to being addicted to Giant Granny Square Blankets so it was time to branch out and try some more interesting stitches. Spike Stitch has been my first try and I love it, it Crochets up a nice thick blanket and it looks like Herringbone from across a room which is a winner for me. Both of these blankets are a generous crib size that almost cover a single bed ( US/Canada = Twin)

Crochet newbies might be put off by what looks a complicated stitch but the secret is (ssshhhhh) it's just Single Crochet, downside is that it takes longer because the stitch is smaller, but I just love the look of Noah and baby G's blankets.









  
The reverse side even looks interesting and spiky too.

 Not quite able to put down my hook, I'd been planning on making a Leather Kindle cover for Mr Ruby Murray but with sewing machine out of action I tried one in Crochet again with Spike stitch, this time using a Black and White Eco yarn made from recycled plastic bottles  ($1 store purchase no less!) and a Cotton yarn in an obnoxious Lime Green (this one's for you Lime Riot!)


Spike Stitch was perfect for this project, it gives a great cushioned fabric for the Kindle and using Lime Green meant no accidental sitting on the uncovered Kindle, winner winner Chicken Dinner :)

Sick Sewing Machine update: Bessie due back from rehab tomorrow.

8 comments :

LimeRiot said...

These are both wonderful! I adore the bright colors you chose.

Linz said...

I love this! Where can I find the pattern? So cute! I want to make one in brown and real for my living room!

Linz said...

Umm thank you autocorrect for making me look dumb.. I meant TEAL! Not real!

spidermom said...

great bright colors, love the blue blankie!!

Ruby Murray said...

Thanks my lovelies and Linz, I thought you meant Red! or perhaps Pantone had introduced a 'new' colour of the year.

Will get a pattern on here for you within a few days, just need to get a moment alone with the pc, maybe leaving my toddler with a box of matches would afford me some time te he he

Shannon Wood said...

Woah, i didn't even know you could do that with a hook. Great craft!

barbara woods said...

need a pattern. are is this two toned yarn?

Ruby Murray said...

No special yarn, just two different colours of regular old Red Heart Yarn. Pattern coming this week x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10