Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Good Ole Brit Recipes - Queen of Puddings
Man I love me some Dessert and this is such a wintery pudding, sponge base, Strawberry Jam, and Meringue topping, this is so yummy and chances are you'll have everything in your cupboards to make it right now. It's a recipe my Mum used to make and I can't get enough of it so I hope some of you enjoy it too.
2 oz + 1 Tsp Butter
1 oz Sugar + 1 oz Sugar (one for base, one for topping)
4 oz White Breadcrumbs
2 Eggs Separated
3 Tbsp Strawberry Jam (We use way more than this though so go nuts!)
Grated rind of 2 Lemons
1. Heat oven to 350F or 180C and grease Medium sized dish with the tsp of Butter
2. Place Butter, Sugar (1oz) & Lemon Rind in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy, then stir in the Breadcrumbs.
3. Pour Milk into a a small saucepan and bring to just under boiling point, pour over breadcrumb mix stirring with a spoon, put aside to cool for 10 mins.
4. Beat egg yolks then spoon into the breadcrumb mix little by little, pour mixture into the greased dish and cook for 35 -45 mins or until firm to the touch (This is the base of the pudding)
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, when cooled, spread Strawberry Jam over it and put to one side.
6. Reduce oven temp to very cool 275F or 140C
7. In mixing bowl beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, add 1 Tbsp Caster Sugar and continue to beat until stiff and glossy, then with a metal spoon gently fold in the remainder of the 1 oz Sugar.
8. Spread the meringue mix over the top of the cooled base and return to oven for 20-25 mins or until the Meringue sets and is golden brown.
Best served piping hot, yum yum
I'm happy to brag that I am NOT the cook in the RM household so if some of this does not make sense let me know and I'll consult the Chef (not Chief Bottle Washer ;)