Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mini Engraved House

 
 
I recently won $400 in gift cards for an amazing local Art store for my Medal Ribbon submission. So each time I visit and treat myself, I try to pick up a different type of material I've not worked with before. This time round it was a heavy grade foil.

I love anything teeny weeny and what's cuter than a teeny house? I  had some Polystyrene packing pieces I wanted to find a reuse for so I carved a square shape, gave it a roof and got to work engraving/embossing a little house, it's extremely wonky (I'm gonna claim that's my style!) but I had fun, rescued something that can't be recycled and added one more teeny house to my collection,

 
Round the back

Want to make your own?

  • Make a small box from Cardboard (cereal boxes are perfect) Matchboxes would be great for this if you have some to hand.

  • Lean on something soft to get the crispest embossed picture, Styrofoam or craft foam works.

  • Embossing and special cutting tools not required, a Dried out ballpoint pen works, or a Toothpick, and cut with plain old scissors.

  • When it comes to gluing I Hot Glue gun everything, and it turns out Polystyrene melts! (Durrrr) so using just Polystyrene without a box around it will make it hard to glue. Pop the polystyrene into the box then wrap your tooled foil around it, then gluing is a cinch.

  • I just folded each edge almost like gift wrapping, if it's too bulky just snip a bit off.

  • Sharp edges? make them blunt by leaning the pokey bits on a hard surface.



 
 
 
 
Having played with the foil I now want to get hold of some Aluminium flashing, the foil creased way too easily so it's time to bring out the big guns!




2 comments :

LimeRiot said...

Congrats on winning that gift card!! What an awesome prize.

I love teeny houses and this is one of a kind. What a great idea. Super cute.

Ruby Murray said...

Thanks Lime, yes I was so lucky so many great things to try every time I go to the Art store.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10