Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hand-Me-Down Horror 10 - Zigga Zig Ahhh


So you'd thought I'd forgotten about this one didn't you? nope just had some last minute under arm stitchery and lose threads to hack off and here we are.Still can't believe myself that that skirt yeilded so much fabric I was able to make a knee length dress, with sleeves even, and again this little beauty cost me a cool $1.

I am definitely going to be on the look out for more pleated skirts, as you saw from the preview you open up one side seam, rip off the waistband and you have straight uncut fabric, perfect. I have one more in my enormous stash but still yet to uncover it.


This was a from scratch dress using a Burdastyle pattern I'd used before, http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/tara
If you've not used a Burdastyle pattern before then check them out, you download and print at home so if you make a mistake you can print and cut as many times as you like, mess up, print it again, need a different size print it again. Not that I advocate using so much paper but we all have scrap paper we can use and the pattern is there for you to use again and again once it is printed.





The Tara pattern is for a top only (see below) but it does have a printed line where you can cut and add length. If you're taller or shorter than the average body type then this is a skill that is going to help you get the right body length in your clothing.

This top I ommitted the sleeves and bias taped all raw edges (including the hem) instead of double turning them under, the straps were also bias tape. Bias tape, seems tricky but once you've mastered it you can conceal any raw edge and have it look a million bucks!



Close up of the gorgeous vintage print.

4 comments :

La Bouilloire Noire said...

I always try to avoid empire waist dresses because I'm a Regency living historian so I feel like I'm in empire dresses all the time. But these are super cute! And I can't believe you got all that fabric from that one skirt! Awesome!

Ruby Murray said...

I hear you on the Empire line, and what a cool job. It's definitely a thin line between cute and summery and busty barmaid!!

Kanawinkie said...

Oh wow! I have to admit I was a bit skeptical when I saw the fabric of the skirt even all stretched out... but these are gorgeous!

spidermom said...

yay you fixed it and made it gorgeous!!!!
and the purple top is fabulous, totally makes me daydreamy about summertime...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10