Friday, May 18, 2012

Books that beg for Needle and Thread

Photo courtesy of Amazon.ca
 
I love books, big small, short, tall I love them all (eeek 2nd poor attempt at Poetry in one week) My childhood memories are a blur of fantasy and reality due to some amazing childrens stories.

Yesterday at a school book sale I happened upon a book that all at once got my memories, imagination and crafty intentions stirred up. I had forgotten this book for 25+ years but now I cannot think of anything else.

What the 'H' has this got to do with craft? the book I came across was The Bedspread by Sylvia Fair. The story follows two bored elderly sisters confined to bed that take on a project to craft their childhood homes by decorating their (shared) bedspread, each decorating one end with Crochet, Embroidery, Applique, Buckles, Curtain rings anything that they could find in their old work baskets. Upon viewing the finished article, they realise they both remembered very different things about their family life, a sweet, charming and inspiring read.

The concept of Crafting your Mantra was introduced to me by Sewmantra 'Mama' Martiel but reading this book really brought the idea home. All I can picture in my mind now is recreating this project to hand down to my baby daughter, and being a thrifty recycled crafter I envision my version including lots of repurposed clothing, pieces of vintage lace, repurposed doilies, Rick Rack, Yo-yos, Ribbons and Buttons.

Finding this book again really spoke to me, so this weekend why not try picking up an old childhood favourite and seeing what yours says to you :)

4 comments :

spidermom said...

oh what a lovely story! very inspiring!

Jill said...

What a fabulous idea contained in that book! I've never seen it before - but I might just see if our library has it!
I'm so enjoying revisiting all the books from my childhood as my girls grow. We're up to chapter books now - such great memories and nice to pass them on to our own kids too!

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

That sounds like a lovely book! I am going to see if I can find it for my 9 year old.

Ruby Murray said...

It's so sweet and such an easy read your little one will love it Justine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10